‘Seun Ibukun-Oni, Abuja
Daily Courier – King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain have sent condolences to President Muhammadu Buhari on the recent tragedy in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
According to Femi Adesina, special adviser to the president on media and publicity today May 31, 2022 the message addressed to President Buhari and signed by His Majesty the King, Felipe VI, the Monarch wrote:
‘‘Upon learning of the terrible tragedy that occurred in the city of Port Harcourt, in which such a large number of people lost their lives, I wish to convey to you, on behalf of the Government and the people of Spain, our deepest condolences.
‘‘The Queen joins me in sending, through you, all our support and solidarity to the families of the deceased and best wishes for a speedy recovery for the injured.
‘‘Receive, Mr President, the testimony of my highest consideration and esteem together with an affectionate greeting for the beloved people of Nigeria.’’
Daily Courier reports that thousands of indigent people throng an event in Port Harcourt, where a pastor was giving free access to food and other groceries. It was reported that despondently hungry people had started gathering at the venue a day ahead of schedule and before the organisers arrived to share the vouchers for the event, strangely dubbed, “Shop for Free,” these desperate Nigerians stirred a volcanic stampede that left as many as 30 people dead.”
The church, earlier in a statement, by its Director of Administration, Chimeka Elem, said the stampede happened in the early hours before the commencement of its “benevolent and outreach programme called Shop-for-Free”.
Elem described the programme as nondenominational and said its purpose was to share with the less privileged the gifts provided by members of the church, friends and partners.