Patrick Kelechi, Lagos


The Desert Foxes of Algeria continued their impressive streak against the Super Eagles as they recorded a 2-1 win in Tuesday’s international friendly in Ora.


Terem Moffi gave the Super Eagles the lead early in the first half but goals from Riyad Mahrez and Youcef Atal sealed the comeback win.


The result means Algeria have now won their last four encounters with the Super Eagles.


The Algerians were awarded a free-kick on 5th minute in a good area but the effort came off the Super Eagles wall.


But it was the Eagles who broke the deadlock on 9th minute as Moffi slotted into an empty net after Kelechi Iheanacho’s initial shot was blocked.


In the 16th minute a chance fell for Mahrez on the edge of the box but his shot was blocked for a corner.


Mahrez almost equalised for Algeria on 20 minutes following a poor back pass header by Zaidu Sanusi but his strike came off the post.


The Algerians continued to probe and were almost rewarded on 27 minutes but Calvin Bassey made a timely block from a dangerous cross.


In the 29th minute Ademola Lookman thought he had doubled the Super Eagles lead but he was flagged for offside.


Iheanacho tested the Algerian keeper from range in the 31st minute which he held.


With 10 minutes left the Algerians got a free kick in a good area but Francis Uzoho made a calm save off the boot of Youcef Belaili.


Mahrez drew Algeria level from the penalty spot on 41 minutes, after Frank Onyeka fouled Ramy Bensebaini who followed up on a rebound which came off the post.


With a minute remaining Iheanacho sent in a dangerous set piece but Ola Aina failed to get to it on as it went out for a goal kick.


Five minutes into the second half Belaili cut in from the left to beat Kevin Akpoguma but fired wide off the mark.


On 56 minutes Islam Slimani almost put Algeria ahead as he connected with a cross with his head only to see the effort miss the target.


On the hour mark Iheanacho was set up by Moffi but shot straight at the keeper inside the box.


In the 61st minute Algeria went 2-1 up thanks to Atal sent in a long range strike which beat Uzoho.


Moffi almost equalized for the Super Eagles but saw his goal bound shot take a deflection and went straight to the goalkeeper.


With 20 minutes left Saviour Godwin was brought on for Lookman.


Two minutes later Taiwo Awoniyi replaced goal scorer Moffi.


With 12 minutes left Algeria were awarded a free kick but the cross was headed over the bar.


In the 85th minute Cyriel Dessers and Raphael Onyedika replaced Onyeka and Iheanacho.


In the 88th minute the Super Eagles broke on the left through Sanusi but his low cross was cut out for a corner.


And in stoppage time Algeria got a free kick for a foul committed by Bassey but the attempt went just over the bar.